So, You Just Got Divorced

So, You Just Got Divorced

By Frank Vendt |

For many people, getting a final judgment of divorce is ending a chapter of life. Whether you or your spouse initiated the divorce, there is a certain sense of closure and a new lease on life that comes with having a divorce finalized. Read on for a discussion of issues that recently-divorced people often encounter.

How Do I Change My Name?

Typically, your divorce decree will include a clause that grants your name change. This is an issue that your attorney should foresee. If your divorce decree grants your name change, you can present the decree to the agencies and businesses with which you need to change your name. If your decree is silent on your name change, you will need to request that your divorce decree be amended or you will need to file a Petition for Name Change.

Remember to change your name with the following agencies and businesses:

  • The state agency responsible for issuing driver’s licenses
  • Banks
  • Credit cards and creditors
  • The Social Security Administration
  • Utility companies, including the telephone company
  • The United States Department of State, if you have a passport
  • Postal Service
  • Car titles and registration
  • Insurance companies
  • Your employer

How Soon Can I Get Re-Married?

Some people believe that as soon as a judge signs your divorce judgment, you are free to remarry without breaking any bigamy laws. This is not true. In Texas, you must wait at least 30 days before re-marrying. It may be possible to have this waiting period waived by a judge.

What Emotional and Health Issues Might I Experience?

It is important to understand that a divorce is a major life event and can greatly affect your well being. Look out for the following issues that divorced people have a higher risk of experience and seek help if needed.

    • Anxiety
    • Drastic change in weight
    • Cardiovascular disease
    • Insomnia
    • Substance abuse
    • Mobility limitations

Contact a Richmond, TX Divorce Attorney

There are other issues that may come up after your divorce is finalized. Spousal support, child custody, property division and protective orders may all require additional court proceedings as well as the help of an attorney.

To schedule a consultation with a Richmond, Texas divorce attorney, call Frank J. Vendt, Jr. at (832) 276-9474 or contact us online.